For the birds
I hate spiders. I acknowledge that all creatures have a purpose and are important to the overall balance of the human ecosystem, but I seriously hate s
piders. The part I hate most about them is that are all over our yard. Well......that and the fact that they're blood-thirsty, man-eating killers. So we tried to figure out what to do once I found a couple of Black Widows in addition to the hordes of wood spiders around. We decided to have an exterminator come over and spray some things to get rid of them as well as put up a bird feeder or two. After the exterminator expertly executed (10 points for alliteration) our spider enemies we picked out a respectable bird feeder to try out. Zeke's favorite part was trying to fill the bird feeder with seed and subsequently pouring bird seed all over the world. It's hung on one our corner fence posts
which might not be the ideal spot, but it looks nice and wil hopefully attract some of our avian friends every once in a while. The most satisfying part of this whole experience is that a stroll through our backyard no longer includes the fear of being eaten by some monster lying in wait (and yes, I seriously felt that way at one point). There were seriously hundreds of spiders all over our yard and I hated being out there. Your backyard is supposed to be somewhere you can relax and enjoy being outdoors. Ours wasn't for me, but it's getting there. We've got a lot of work to do to improve our lawn, but hopefully that work will not include eradication of creepy pests any longer.
piders. The part I hate most about them is that are all over our yard. Well......that and the fact that they're blood-thirsty, man-eating killers. So we tried to figure out what to do once I found a couple of Black Widows in addition to the hordes of wood spiders around. We decided to have an exterminator come over and spray some things to get rid of them as well as put up a bird feeder or two. After the exterminator expertly executed (10 points for alliteration) our spider enemies we picked out a respectable bird feeder to try out. Zeke's favorite part was trying to fill the bird feeder with seed and subsequently pouring bird seed all over the world. It's hung on one our corner fence posts
which might not be the ideal spot, but it looks nice and wil hopefully attract some of our avian friends every once in a while. The most satisfying part of this whole experience is that a stroll through our backyard no longer includes the fear of being eaten by some monster lying in wait (and yes, I seriously felt that way at one point). There were seriously hundreds of spiders all over our yard and I hated being out there. Your backyard is supposed to be somewhere you can relax and enjoy being outdoors. Ours wasn't for me, but it's getting there. We've got a lot of work to do to improve our lawn, but hopefully that work will not include eradication of creepy pests any longer.Visit from exterminator.................$100.00
Bird feeder...................................$ 19.00
Bird seed.......................................$ 7.00
A bunch of dead spiders................Priceless
Bird feeder...................................$ 19.00
Bird seed.......................................$ 7.00
A bunch of dead spiders................Priceless
Posted in: on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at at 5:19 PM


