Midnight in Florida

What does one do in Sarasota, FL at midnight? I, unlike many, sit on an uncomfortable bed in a strange-smelling hotel room wishing I was at home in my own bed with my own strange-smelling children crying at odd intervals all night long because they have colds. I never thought I would wish that my kids would wake me up, and yet here I sit wishing it.

I'm at the end of a long 5 weeks of travel and I've learned a lot from my voyages. For example:

  • Phoenix heat in the summertime can melt your face off, but no one in Phoenix really notices.
  • Chicago is beautiful but can sometimes smell something like sewage. That's because your really smelling sewage.
  • I hate airports even more than I did before (and I still feel the same about Wal-mart).
  • Odessa, TX is just as small and dinky as it's sister-city Midland.
  • St. Louis has some great barbecue ribs.
  • I can pack luggage like a champ.
  • Police actually do pull taxis over for traffic violations, especially if they're going 64 in a 35 on airport property.
  • Minnesota has absolutely wonderful weather in the summer and it's citizens really do have that weird Minnesota accent like in the movies.
  • Last but not least, I don't like being away from home.

3 comments:

  1. A post from Potter!! Wow, what a treat. Here are some things I've learned from some of those places.
    I learned that while in Phoenix I walk funny...that is because I keep walking to find misters that are hung up everywhere. If I see one...I'm walking to it.
    Chicago actually smells like an onion! Go figure they name their city after it.(French word I believe) I learned that one on a boat ride that we took to look at the architecture. Beautiful city though.

     
  2. I surprised that a visit to your old mission companion's house didn't top the list...what the freak?! Nor did Blue Bell ice cream along with a cold glass of sweet guarana. I did like the list and it gave Brooke and I a good laugh. We're glad that you get to spend some time with the family now.

     
  3. I'm glad you guys are still looking in on me. Smith, I'll concede that Chicago may have smelled like an onion, but it had to have been an onion lying in sewage. The problem might have been compounded by the fact that my hotel room also smelled horrible, so my sense of smell may have been a little wounded and inaccurate. Still, it was a beautiful city. Cooker, you make a fine point. I should have added highlights to my journeys in addition to things I learned. Your wonderful family (and ice cream) would have made top billing for sure.