Worst trip ever...............EVER.

I don't like complaining. I generally think it's a complete waste of time and energy. I'm the type of person (pushover) that, when something goes wrong, can somehow imagine why the situation is my fault and why I should be the one to rearrange my life or schedule to accommodate and correct what's gone wrong. That's just the way I am and I'm okay with it. There are times, however, that I wish I would be a little more outspoken. Actually, there were about 38 times over the last three days when I wished I were a little more outspoken. I'm obligated to tell this story, not to complain, but to tell an extremely unfortunate story that will probably play itself out many more times in my life. (Warning: In addition to being a push-over I'm also long-winded so get comfortable.)

On Tuesday, I arrived at RDU on my way to Minneapolis via Charlotte. On that fine day one of the two RDU runways were closed for maintenance and a private plane blew a tire when landing on the other runway which literally shut down the airport for about two hours. We were delayed leaving RDU and I missed my connection in Charlotte by about an hour. The air line I was flying with graciously placed me on the next/last plane to Minneapolis..............seven and 1/2 hours later. I tried to be placed on stand-by as well as finding other air lines to get me there earlier. No luck. I wasted seven hours of my life then caught the last flight of the day to my final destination. I arrived at 2am (our time) and went to pick up my reserved rental car. They didn't have a car for me. I asked the kind lady who works for the rental car company to look again. They didn't have a car for me. I asked the kind lady to step outside and look for anything with wheels. She returned and said they had two vehicles not in the system. So instead of the mid-size car with GPS that I reserved weeks ago, I left the airport in a gigantic cargo van with a cage in the back without GPS. It was like some sort of prison transport vehicle or something similar, but it did have wheels so it met all of the required criteria at 2am. After about an hour I found my hotel (the first and only successful event that day).

The following day I'm awake at 6:30 and conduct a monitoring visit at a local multiple sclerosis clinic. The visit was wonderful and I got a lot accomplished. At 2:30pm I head back to the airport for my return flight home. Upon arriving at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport I sit for a while prior to checking in and ponder how horrible the travel portion of the trip had been up to that point. When I finally decide to check in, the desk attendants aren't able to find me in their system. They asked me for bits of information I didn't have available at the moment and looked again. No luck. They ask a few more questions, and upon their third search are able to find me in the system along with an explanation as to why they couldn't locate my reservation on their previous attempts: I've been bumped to a later flight (which is fine) and then that flight was canceled ( which is not fine). I'm informed I wouldn't be leaving until the following day at 10am. I ask if I can be placed on stand-by for any flight leaving that evening. No luck. I try to find other air lines that can get me home that evening. Again, no luck. I then attempted to call my supervisors at work to inform them of the situation and ask guidance on what to do. They suggest I get a room for the evening and try again the following day. I did so but I was very disappointed.

The following day I arrive at the airport (again), check in (again), and board my flight (which was on time). This return trip was routed through Chicago O'Hare airport so I knew there was no possible way I would be getting home any time soon despite a successful first flight. I was right. My connection from O'Hare to RDU was delayed for hours and I got home much later than I should have.

I felt bad about my post from three days ago "I hate airports..." as it came off a bit whiny and ungrateful. I can honestly say that I no longer feel guilty about that post. In fact, I kind of like it. It's probably one of the most timely and appropriate things I've ever written in my life. But I'm home now and I'm extremely glad to be here..............and not in an airport.

Blake

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the party! I have had the same problems in flying. Its good to hear that everybody gets them and not just me. Congrats on the new arrival. You will for sure have to post more about him/her so that i'm in the loop.

     
  2. That was quite the story man. Amen and Amen. I just had United try to steal $250 from me because one of their agents lied to me but it was documented "correctly" in their systems. So you can lie over the phone but it's OK if you write it down the way your suppose to. BTW you were not a disappointment to Houston...he loved you.